About Wyalong

Gold was discovered by the Neeld brothers in 1893, when they were fencing on a selection for their brother George, over what is now Wyalong township. The father, Frederick, and the brothers prospected over the area and found it to be rich with gold. By March 1894, about 12,000 people were on the field, with 12 big mines and several smaller ones operating. At the turn of the century Wyalong produced more gold than any other field in the Colony. Up to 1920, when the last mine closed 447,500 ounces had been won. Agriculture had by this time taken over and the Wyalong district then became one of the biggest ceral growing centre in NSW.