About

The Bland District Historical Society Inc has been managing a Museum in the Wyalong district since 1965, the Society started with one room in the School of Arts building with a handful of donated objects. Over time we purchased the historic Sharman House where we remained until last year amassing over 7000 objects pertaining to our early history. Last year we moved to the Old Court House in Wyalong, this heritage building displays our objects as never before. We have managed to leave the historic Court Room as it was in 1900, and school children are encouraged to participate in minor court cases, this has proved very popular with both teachers and the children. We have a War room where memorabilia from both world wars are displayed, our Victoria Cross winner Reg Rattey, a feature. The late 1890's bedroom, parlour and kitchen complete the interior of the Court House. Every six months we change the displays in the public seating section of the Court Room as well as the front foyer, thus giving locals as well as visitors a reason to re visit. Our machinery and mining displays are housed in a large shed in the rear of the precinct, new toilets and large gardens complete our new home. With our new members we are able to open from from 2pm till 5pm with two volunteers on duty. Apart from visitors and book sales our main source of income is our subscribed journal “Museum Murmurs” which we have been producing for over ten years.